Monday, July 22, 2019

Keto: Morning, Noon, and Night (Part 2 of 2)

Some time later and a few pounds lighter, I am feeling so good about how well I have this Keto thing down! In fact, July 22nd marks 3 months since I started this journey. I have lost a total of 20 lbs!!



This is a great time to post part 2 of the morning, noon, and night blog series. To read part 1, click here.


Continuing where I left off: Lunch/Dinner. When on Keto, it may seem even more difficult to put together a satisfying meal that helps hold you over until dinner or avoid the late night snacking. This is where resources like Google and Pinterest are your best friends!


There are a ton of great ideas on each site with an endless supply of recipes!

Use the following tips to sort through the data:

  • Start with flavors and tastes you enjoy. Finding foods/recipes similar to what you already like, will help with the transition into a Keto-friendly lifestyle.
  • Don't be afraid to try new things. Believe me, I have tried many new recipes and foods. Willingness to at least try them, will help you embark on a whole new food journey!
  • Always find the nutritional data. Yes, you can plug information into an app, but with so many online sources, there is no reason for that hard work. I simply won't bother to use a recipe if I don't have nutritional information. 
  • Don't think you have to overspend. Everything seems overwhelming and expensive when you haven't had the experience to know what works and what doesn't. Think about how to take recipes you already enjoy and alter them to make them Keto-friendly. You don't have to go broke to eat a Keto diet.
  • Organize. This does not only apply to recipes, but to how you have your foods accessible and your meals planned. Proper preparation will avoid disappointing results. Below is one of the awesome ideas I found online (and one of my own versions of it).

Basically, you take a clear organizer box (I found this one at Wal-mart for about $14) and wash it. Once dry, add snacks that you can just stuff into each of the different compartments. As you are doing that, close the lid on top to write the serving size and carb count with a dry-erase marker. Repeat the process for each snack until the box is full. It's a great go-to for snacks!

Turning our focus back to lunch and dinner, here are a few ideas to get your mind thinking that yes, you can make keto work for you!




Now of course, meals aren't all you think about, when you make a change like this. You cannot forget sweets and desserts. This one can be a tricky one. There are a variety of different sugar-free options. You should do your research and figure out what is best for you. I will admit, that through my experience and research, I found the sugar-free option Swerve to be my favorite! It is a 1:1 substitute that I can use in my baking. There is especially important to me since I am a baker too!!


 So for a few ideas of the scrumptious sweets you can enjoy, I am going to make you hungry again!



These all look delightful! 

As promised, I also have a few wonderful recipes to share from my own experiences on keto. All of the recipes I recommend are NOT my own, but I did actually try each of them. So the ones I recommend, are 4-5 stars, in my book! 
In this recipe, I did make some minor alterations, like adding bacon or ham and subbing parmasean cheese instead of goat cheese. It is loaded with veggies though and cooks very quick with a cast iron skillet. In fact, I made two batches back-to-back the first time, and put both in 8 inch round baking pans to store in the freezer. These are full of flavor with a 5-start review from me.

Salmon & Asparagus Foil Packets (Adapted from a recipe using Shrimp)


https://www.cookingclassy.com/shrimp-and-asparagus-foil-packs-with-garlic-lemon-butter-sauce/
With this recipe, I was looking for something fast and easy to prep. The recipe actually places the foil packets on the grill, but since it takes a lot of time to get the charcoal grill going, I chose the oven. It was excellent! This was also the first time I had tried asparagus, which I very much enjoyed. This meal is also perfect for the family, adding the healthy benefits that is perfect for adults and growing kids alike. I call this a 5-star recipe because fish, butter, and lemon together are simply a hit!

I do have many more concoctions and recipes that I have tried, but I need more photos, so they will have to wait.


For the Facebook savvy, I have included some groups I would recommend joining for inspiration, questions, and that have great support systems.

Keto It Your Way, Macros, Barbell Beauties (Barbell Beauties also talks about healthy diets like Keto).

And of course there are plenty of websites out there that are awesome! Blogs I am about to start following, but kinda do on Pinterest anyway, include IbreatheI'mHungry, KetoConnect, Ditchthecarbs, and KetoChristina to name a few.

This won't be the last time I visit the topic of Keto, in fact, hear me out. I'm actually going to post a before and after pic next time I post. Sooo that should inspire me to stick it out. You are relying on me!!

Anyhow, have you taken the plunge to start keto? How is it going for you? I'll bet we have much to discuss!!

No comments:

Post a Comment