Sunday, May 26, 2019

And Keto was his name Oh!

I have decided to jump on the bandwagon! And the bandwagon is called Keto.

This actually was an idea that evolved from a mere suggestion, nearly 1 year ago. Like many people, I have struggled with weight issues for a long time. So last year, I was determined to lose weight again with the New Year on the horizon. My SIL told me about a coworker who had seen success while on Keto. She lost 25 lbs in two months and had not changed her routine in any other way, as in no exercise. Now before you judge, I love to be active!! However my work schedule is not conducive to getting my workouts in daily. I need to chunk them. But that is a story for another day.



Back to the Keto suggestion. So my dear friend says it's not hard, but you do have to give up breads and sugar. Agh! Hold the phone! I just don't know if I can do that. I bake as a hobby so ruling out sweets just isn't going to happen. I move on with the conversation, but it ignited a spark.

Fast forward 2 months and another good friend of mine brings it up on a work trip. She didn't push it on me or anything, but I mentioned my goals for the new year. She encouraged trying Keto too! Moreover, she actually lives a Keto lifestyle!! So now I'm thinking, she has a family and manages to do this Keto thing, maybe there is some merit to this thing. Moreover, she has shed some weight changing her habits.


Okay, okay, so it's not unrealistic now, it has just moved to 'hard' in my mind. I return from my trip and maybe a week later, find out a close friend of my husband's is on Keto too! Moreover, his DOCTOR ordered him onto the diet. Damn! This can't be that hard and it is clearly not so bad for you if a doctor is recommending this. It might be time to give this Keto thing a chance.

The New Year zips past and I have grand plans of how to lose the weight, but the momentum does  not last for long. I am easily as disappointed as ever when I cannot achieve the results I desire. Once March gets here (in what feels like two weeks), I decide this is it! I need to take this weight loss thing seriously. I have been my heaviest for the last 3 years and not even close to my weight goal for 7 years. I'm ready to make some drastic changes!

So I begin my own Keto research on the following topics (as revealed by my browser history):

  • What is Keto? How does it work? How do you calculate the macros on the keto diet? What nutrients do you need to monitor closely on Keto? Is there a caloric intake required on Keto? Is it different for women and men? What is the Keto flu? Can you exercise on Keto? How will that impact your diet?
  • What can you eat on keto? What salad dressings are acceptable? What are some good breakfast/lunch/family/snack recipes that are Keto friendly? Can I eat bread? No milk-are you sure? How do I sate that sweet tooth? What about a craving for salt?
  • How do you manage Keto in your day-to-day life? How to meal prep in 3 hours? How does going into Ketosis feel? How many more Keto blogs can I find? Can I do this? Are you sure I can?
Then here, in the 3rd week of April, I made up my mind. I'm doing Keto. I'm doing Keto!

 

So I drew up the grocery list, realizing it's going to be a little more expensive at first. I have to stock up on certain things like sugar substitutes (Swerve is my recommendation) that do not take me out of Ketosis. I have to add a lot more meat to the menu, since carbs can't be the 'filler' anymore. And I make sure to have more vegetables than usual to replace rice and pasta. There are still high-fat delights such as cream cheese and butter, but they have to be used in different ways.

Now as I draw up this grocery list, explaining to the kids all the changes I have to make, my husband overhears this. He has also heard me talk about the benefits of Keto and the changes I will have to make too. He knows what I'm in for. So two days before I begin, he looks at me and offers to do this Keto thing with me. Say what?

Of all the things that have surprised me in life, this is among the top 10! Wow, so after I get over the initial shock, I start preparing him mentally for the changes. Wouldn't you know, just that last little umph was all I needed! 

So it's on. April 22nd was the day I started. We will see where it goes from here!

Are you doing Keto? What are your thoughts about the process? Don't be surprised as I add recipes and my experiences with it in coming posts. I look forward to sharing the successes and failures (like fake bread, there is no Keto bread that I have found that is really worth a darn! lol)

No comments:

Post a Comment