Sunday, November 17, 2019

Zombieland Saturday


So when the rumours began about Zombieland 2, we were geeked from the beginning! With all the hardcore horror movies coming out around Halloween, this was actually something we could get behind. It was a great option to take our kids to that we felt wasn't going to terrorize them-or us. Yeah it's gory, but it's a zombie movie!


See for anyone who's a big zombie fan or just likes good comedy, you may have heard of Zombieland. We became fans immediately-I mean who wouldn't be? The first one was absolutely hilarious!! Let's start with the actors themselves, since they can set the stage of how the performance would go. You've got Woody Harrelson, an epic actor that has kept with the times, beginning on the 80's show Cheers. His success includes the likes of White Men Can't Jump, Planet of the Apes, The Hunger Games series, Solo, and this! Emma Stone who has a heck of a resume having been in Spiderman, Superbad, LaLaLand and even the Help! Jesse Eisenberg who is of course a character in and of himself. You may not recognize the name, but you'll recognize the movies: Batman vs Superman, the Social Network (you know the flick about Mark Zuckerburg) and of course Zombieland.




Then you have the amazing, the rolling-on-the-floor laughing (for like 40 years now) freakin Bill Murray! Yes, THE Bill Murray!! Remember he was in things like the ORIGINAL Ghost Busters, Space Jam (also the original), Groundhog Day, Stripes, (the voice of the) Garfield animated series, and Zombieland. PLUS he was a comedian long before he was into acting. So when Zombieland 2 came out in October, I made it my personal mission to make it a Zombie-filled day.
Jay got in on it and thought it would be great to play our tabletop game, Zombies, after we go see the movie. It couldn't have been more perfect that way! So we may it Zombieland Saturday and proceeded to enjoy the family day together. The family does typically get frustrated with me during these games, because I commonly win. So I thought I should also point out, Jay won out at the end! And with such a nasty move! He flooded me with zombies Haha

BTW, you should definitely go to see Zombieland 2. If you are a fan of that stuff at all (as in comedy, zombies, or those awesome actors!), you will definitely enjoy the movie :)

After Zombieland Saturday, real life started to get much more complicated, but I wanted to keep the momentum going. So Jay suggested I paint up my graveyard. I kinda forgot about it, so it was a great suggestion. Plus I knew it wouldn't take long at all! So in a week, my daughter and I painted up the graveyard terrain. In case you were wondering, what we are referencing is the Games Workshop  Sigmarite Mausoleum. I'm really happy with how they turned out.




October wasn't over when we painted them though, so I felt like I needed to paint my two undead Harbingers. They had been sitting partially painted for about 3 weeks, so it was time to finish them. I treated them as a team, but that reflected the colors in my skeleton army (red and purple). It turned out to be an excellent idea and gave them each a bit of personality despite being 1 unit in the game.

I couldn't be happier with how they came out! I'll include some of the photos of the process below, as well. Let me know what you think?








Now what this really gets me thinking about it is the latest South Park episode (as of this post) called Board Girls. There is plenty of politics in the episode, but I had to share the 'nuance' I noticed, which was how the episode featured girl gamers! Better yet, it didn't just show them off, in it's own way, it showed off the games themselves!!




There were references to some of the common games, Ticket to Ride, Axis and Allies, and of course D&D, but that wasn't it. They referenced tabletop miniature games! In a big way, they put it right in front of pop culture and the everyday joe. I was delighted that Mythic Battles Pantheon seemed to be featured, because that was not only our first kickstarter, but it was initiated by me. I was the non-gamer girl or normie, until after that miniatures game. So it really has significance for me. It seemed that they even wanted to reference 40K or AoS, but I'm sure Games Workshop would never sell the rights lol


Certainly there are many other girl gamers out there who enjoy these hobbies too, as is evidenced by the facebook groups I am involved in. So you should check out the episode, because you will be so excited when you see a very recognizable meeple on the table!

I'll work on being more consistent with my future posts, but I thought you would enjoy hearing (and seeing) some of the things we have been up to in the Yellow Rose household. Look forward to hearing about my thoughts on the Sisters of Battle soon, because I want to hear yours too.

Have a great November!



2 comments:

  1. Great October! And that episode of South Park was amazing! And with your winning streak against the family, you represent those girl gamers very well. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I absolutely loved Zombieland but sadly missed Zombieland Double Tap :(
    We wanted to watch it as a family but the censors in Malaysia rated it as 18 and above, so my son couldn't go, so we decided to give it a miss at the box office.

    ReplyDelete